Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blah Blah Blog

I like this photographer Vivian Chen.  In her Portfolio I /section 0ne she has a cool picture looking through tattered clothes on a line to see posters of some models displayed in the background.  I think photos are really successful when they capture something like that - a real moment. 

I was watching this great National Geographic documentary about Joel Sartore (photographer) called At Close Range.  He was extremely sincere and modest (a country boy) about how he can take a beautiful picture but rarely capture a real moment (quite a statement when you see his work).  He describes only one picture where he felt as though he captured a real moment.

This photo (bottom left of link) is of kids who are working in fields as detasslers (removing pollen from corn) and they are in great anticipation as their crew boss is teasing them while determining their wadges.  I think the one on the bottom right looks like a young Juliette Lewis.

Lastly, I can't stop listening to Nick Drake "Saturday Sun." Reminds me of Spring.

Saturday sun came early one morning


In a sky so clear and blue

Saturday sun came without warning

So no-one knew what to do.

Saturday sun brought people and faces

That didn't seem much in their day

But when I remember those people and places

They were rarely too good in their way.

In their way

In their way

Saturday sun won't come and see me today.

Think about stories with reason and rhyme

Circling through your brain.

And think about people in their season and time

Returning again and again

And again

And again

And Saturday's sun has turned to Sunday's rain.

So Sunday sat in the Saturday sun

And wept for a day gone by.

No comments: