Tuesday, April 27, 2010


These paintings were made for a friend in Australia as commissioned work.  You can see the process in my previous post (scroll down farther). This experience was nice.  The process made me think more about my art "business" and making my artwork more accessible for sales.  For a long time I have had ideas...for example...I would like to make artwork that fits into priority shipping boxes, and set-up a paypal account and revamp the look of the website with new work/old work... and we'll see...I have plans for this summer.

"The peace at the end" Encaustic Wax, Beeswax, Plaster, 2" x 4"


"To Begin" Encaustic Wax, Beeswax, Plaster 2 "x4 "


"Sheer Terror" Encaustic Wax, Beeswax, Plaster 2" x 4"


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Student Artwork

Louise Nevelson Inspired Sculpture: (7th grade)


Claes Oldenburg Inspired Sculpture: (8th grade)

Rembrandt Chalk and Charcoal Drawings: (8th grade)

Monday, April 12, 2010

Green is Good

In preparation for the garden this year Tim decided to start from seeds.  They are pampered.  I hope they survive for his sake.

This is what it must look like to be a bug.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring has sprung! Rearranging furniture, Fake Birds & Commissioned Paintings...

This is my living room found object - "over the couch" art.  I gathered these branches last spring in the neighborhood and painted them...I hang ornaments on it at Christmas, and apparently- now I can't help attaching fake birds to them in the spring. she's got a little of the mother in her...

I finished the painting from an earlier post and hung it up as a pseudo-headboard above the bed.  I move all the furniture around when seasons change.  I don't know why.  I think it has less to do with convenience and more to do with just proving to myself that I own all-this-stuff and I can move it around if I want. I'm allowed.

I have started the first of three 2"x4" panels I am making for a friend in Australia.  I thought it would be cool to document the stages. 

Stage 1: I built the frame from masonite and pine, painted it with a gesso medium and white acrylic paint.

Stage 2:  I added texture with plaster.

Stage 3:  I started adding the encaustic wax on top of the plaster. My color palette is below.  I heat these up in a electric skillets.  The big block is pure beeswax.  If you are interested in reading more about encautic the R&F website is here.

Stage 4:  In this stage I started making the transition much more subtle.  Still working on the last few stages...I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for checking it out.  Any comments you have are great.

stage 5: scraping...
Stage 6: Finished!